Re: OO and relation "impedance mismatch"

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 19:02:54 -0400

"Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message news:Ms_7d.301694$mD.88577_at_attbi_s02...

> But perhaps the point you are making implicitly is one I'll make
> explicitly: OO languages have been far and away the most successful
> at providing programmers with user-defined types of any approach
> thus far. (And I'd put SQL and existing SQL database as down near
> the bottom of the list.) Yes, much of OO is still ad-hoc and not
> well grounded, but doesn't mean it hasn't been spectacularly
> successful. And it also doesn't mean it isn't on its way to being
> well-grounded.

Can you explain to me why "CREATE DOMAIN" doesn't cause to to rank SQL a little higher?

I understand that user defined domains don't define any operators, and all domains are subsets of the original primitive dataypes, but it's been awfully useful to me in my work! Received on Mon Oct 04 2004 - 01:02:54 CEST

Original text of this message