Re: OO and relation "impedance mismatch"

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:59:23 GMT

"Fredrik Bertilsson" <fredrik_bertilsson_at_passagen.se> wrote in message news:31f7e57d.0410030945.5f3bbfbb_at_posting.google.com...

> I mean that the OO programming paradigm could be used with RDBs. I can
> not see that non-OO languages should be more suited for accessing
> relational databases. In an OO language it is easier to create
> components for "seamless" access to a relational database.
>
> I think that the impedance mismatch is invented by some OO purists
> that are frustrated that OO databases failed.

I wouldn't say it was "invented" in the sense of something that doesn't exist. The difficulties matching, say C++ and Java with SQL are very real. But they aren't *fundamental* problems.

I've never had a chance to work with SQL/J, but it looks to me like that approach might dramatically reduce the issues. Better still would be an OO language that had been designed from the get-go to work with the relational model. This is the idea that interests me the most.

Marshall Received on Mon Oct 04 2004 - 00:59:23 CEST

Original text of this message