Re: OO and relation "impedance mismatch"

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 23:03:42 GMT

"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message news:e4330f45.0410030310.3b21f980_at_posting.google.com...
> jcelko212_at_earthlink.net (--CELKO--) wrote in message news:<18c7b3c2.0410020756.35b93881_at_posting.google.com>...
>
> > One of the questions was how we should put OO stuff into SQL. His
> > answer was that Bells Labs, with all their talent, had tried four
> > different approaches to this problem and come the conclusion that you
> > should not do it.
>
> It seems that there is a lot of myth in "all their talent".

Snort. I'm trying to think of a better concentration of talent than Bell Labs during its heyday, and I'm not thinking of anything.

I think the issues are a lot better understood today then they were in the mid eighties.

> > I have watched people try to force OO models into SQL and it falls
> > apart in about a year.
>
> Because they identify classes with tables instead of classes with domains.

Limiting classes to only be applicable to relational domains would be hamstringing them.

Marshall Received on Mon Oct 04 2004 - 01:03:42 CEST

Original text of this message