Re: Specifying all biz rules in relational data

From: robert <gnuoytr_at_rcn.com>
Date: 1 Oct 2004 18:37:40 -0700

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:<G-OdnY6BfLBf4szcRVn-sA_at_comcast.com>...
> "--CELKO--" <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
> > .. which is how most other trades actaully pass along knowledge; the
> > apprentice carpenter/chef/musician watches the master and "steals" his
> > tricks.
>
> In the forty odd years since I learned how to program a computer, I have
> been one of the terrifying young geeks who can program up a storm in 24
> hours, with no more reference tools than a six pack of beer. I have also
> been the aging geezer, whose approach to every new problem is to start
> with one of those "boring stories about glory days".
>
> The reason most young programmers do not learn from the masters is that they
> do not recognize the masters.

about 5 or 6 years ago, when XML was just starting to swallow the world's mindshare, Phil (a colleague) noted that he had built programs "with tagged text files" back in the (late, i gather) '60s. he was a DEC guy, so it may have been something they dreamed up. but i remember doing the same sort of thing with stat packages in the '70s. Phil was not impressed.

ah, progress. Received on Sat Oct 02 2004 - 03:37:40 CEST

Original text of this message