Re: Specifying all biz rules in relational data

From: Lemming <thiswillbounce_at_bumblbee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 00:55:19 +0100

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:35:31 -0400, "Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote:

>"--CELKO--" <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>> .. which is how most other trades actaully pass along knowledge; the
>> apprentice carpenter/chef/musician watches the master and "steals" his
>> tricks.
>
>In the forty odd years since I learned how to program a computer, I have
>been one of the terrifying young geeks who can program up a storm in 24
>hours, with no more reference tools than a six pack of beer. I have also
>been the aging geezer, whose approach to every new problem is to start
>with one of those "boring stories about glory days".

You've got close to 20 years on me, but yes, I've done the 24+ hour stints (and come up with the solution by daybreak) more than once. <cough> I've also done a few 24+ hour stints and *not* come up with the solution too. Hey, ho, they still paid me ...

>The reason most young programmers do not learn from the masters is that they
>do not recognize the masters.

At a friend's wedding a couple of years ago, he (the groom/friend, who was also a colleague) dragged me aside to meet his mother. He said to her "Mum, this is Derek ... he's a programming genius." She wasn't impressed.

I was.

I know it wasn't true, but it was nice all the same.

Lemming

--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.