cdt FAQ?

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:53:48 +0200

Kenneth Downs wrote:

> Laconic2 wrote:

>>mAsterdam wrote:
>>
>>>Delving into the nature of the jargonclashes:
>>>they are due to thinking that we are discussing
>>>the same things, when in fact we are not, or,
>>>the other way around: thinking we are discussing
>>>different things because we use different words
>>>to denote the same thing. These problems are not
>>>in how we perceive the subjectmatter, but just
>>>in our different labeling of it.
>>
>>Your entire point is excellent, and very well stated.
>>
>>But I want to point out the overlap between this aspect of the jargon
>>problem, and a classic problem when multiple groups try to integrate
>>their data: it's the synonym and homonym problem.
>>Two groups use different codes to identify what are in fact the same
>>thing. Or two groups use the same code to identify what are, in fact,
>>two distinct entities, albeit closely related.
>>
>>This happens over and over again. Reconciling these clashes is one of the
>>most time consuming aspects of creating an integrated database, where
>>several disjoint databases existed before.
>
> But it happens even at the level of individuals.  I come from a shop and
> call a table the "lines" table and you call it the "detail" table, and it
> takes only 20 seconds to clear it up, but only because we caught that one.
>
> This is perhaps why adding manpower to software projects slows them down.

There is of course more to it, but partly, yes I think so.

A while ago, to get some of these clashes cleared I started cdt glossary:
http://groups.google.nl/groups?hl=nl&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=P7adnfmrx_NOJx_dRVn_iw%40comcast.com&rnum=6&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dcdt%2Bglossary%26hl%3Dnl%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26group%3Dcomp.databases.theory%26selm%3DP7adnfmrx_NOJx_dRVn_iw%2540comcast.com%26rnum%3D6

This is the most recent version:
http://groups.google.nl/groups?q=glossary+0.0.4&hl=nl&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.databases.theory&selm=40d0aaa5%240%2448959%24e4fe514c%40news.xs4all.nl&rnum=1

I'ld be happy to make an update.
If you want to have say 'Type' refined, just start a thread with as subject "cdt glossary [Type]" and after a while I'll copy the nicest/easiest quotes from the thread & paste them into the next edition.

While where at it, would somebody be really nice and start a cdt FAQ?

Candidate questions:
1. I have catalogue with products. Now I want a table-like thingy but columns should dynamically be added - is this a good idea?

2. I have hierarchic data - can I model this in a SQL-database?

3. Is a SQL database relational?

4. What are post-relational databases?

To anyone who seriously considers maintaining it: I know for sure we *will* help you with its content. Received on Sat Sep 25 2004 - 15:53:48 CEST

Original text of this message