Re: Some Laws

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:59:10 -0400

> > the java twinks are a herd of lemmings. who happen to be convinced
> > that any thought they have must be profound and original.
>
> That's just rude and uncalled for, and dead wrong to boot.

It's not dead wrong, in my experience. If you include people whose cultural memory extends back only about 6 years, there are a great many of them who claim originality in Java for language features that data back as far as Smalltalk, Simula, or Lisp.

There are a lot of 25 year olds whose cultural memory only goes back that far.

YMVV.
> Java has been and continues to be an extraordinary success,
> both in terms of popularity and in terms of getting work done.

Agreed.

> This popularity engenders an enormous amount of hostility
> and resentment for reasons I don't entirely understand. What's
> the opposite of shadenfreude?

Part of this is fear of change. Part of it is the overselling of Java. Part of it is the claim made that old COBOL programmers or old PL/1 programmers or old anybody "can't learn Java" bacause, well, because they are too OLD to learn. And part of it is just plain envy.

> At the same time, I've never heard anyone in the Java camp
> claim any particular profundity or orginality. It's just a damn
> useful language is all. If you don't like it, that's fine, but to
> make up fake attributions for the Java camp and then lambaste
> them for it is the worst kind of rhetoric.

As long as to consider Java to be mostly the consolidation of ideas that have been around for a while, and not a radical departure, I have to agree. What you've been exposed to seems to back up your claim that our attributions are fabrications.
In my own case, it's mostly things I heard people say, not things I read in print. So I can't refute your claim. But I still think that your claim is not true, in my experience. Received on Thu Sep 23 2004 - 14:59:10 CEST

Original text of this message