Re: Some Laws

From: robert <gnuoytr_at_rcn.com>
Date: 21 Sep 2004 20:22:39 -0700

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:<8fOdnXtX0u84stLcRVn-pA_at_comcast.com>...
> "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message
> > Yeah, okay. Sometimes I make over-broad claims for shock value.
>
> Yeah, so do I.
<snip>
> Well, I'm also concerned about the number of applications that decided to
> use a DBMS, and then launched
> their product on top of a truly crappy database design. One that was done
> in total ignorance of even first normal form,
> and without regard for any benefits of clarity in design whatsoever. Just
> completely spaghetti. Then, after they got terrible performance, in
> addition to low maintainablity, they decided that "the RDM is at fault".

well, if they are built with "XML Data Storage", then they're cutting edge, and well, a bit fragile, but that's the price for being on the cutting edge. etc. as f. pascal has noted, "if you liked SQL, you'll love XQuery".

there was a thread, which i printed and put on my pin board, about "software fashion victims". since i'm not in CubeLand, no URL. it's well worth looking for.

the java twinks are a herd of lemmings. who happen to be convinced that any thought they have must be profound and original.

sigh,
BobTheDataBaseBoy

<snip> Received on Wed Sep 22 2004 - 05:22:39 CEST

Original text of this message