Re: dbf is antiquated right?

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:41:31 GMT

In message <jSJ3d.12732$yp2.11381_at_newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, s <s_at_s.com> writes
>Is it safe to tell a client that the dbf format is a dinosaur compared to
>SQL?
DBF and SQL are different beasts, they aren't in any way incompatible. But DBF as a storage technology is pretty limited and pretty much every major DBMS vendor now offers something that they consider superior. It's probably time to take the hint.

>Client's using ACT (contact management app) and the dbf and/or indexes have
>become corrupt and are getting to be a time sink to keep working.
>
>What tools could I use to tinker with it? Old version of FoxPro?

Possibly. I'd use MS Access but any tool that you are familiar with is probably going to be a better choice than any unfamiliar one.

--
Bernard Peek