Re: About Itzik's "Maintaining Hierarchies"

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:41:31 GMT

In message <sDD3d.3691$d5.29020_at_newsb.telia.net>, Jonah Olsson <jonah_at_IHATESPAM.com> writes
>Hi all,
>
>Many of my customers indicates that they want to switch to MySQL etc. in a
>near future. And since MySQL (among others) doesn't support Triggers, the
>idea of having triggers to maintain hierarchical data becomes a problem.

You need to educate your customers. For some purposes MySQL is absolutely the right tool for the job. However those purposes are somewhat limited. MySQL is unrivalled for applications where data is written to the database once and then repeatedly queried. It is less valuable where data has to be retrieved and edited.

It is possible to build general-purpose applications using MySQL as a data repository while having all of the smart stuff done before the data is stored. For instance I find that the combination of MySQL and MS Access is a good development environment, each part compensates for some of the others' inadequacies. No doubt others will have differing opinions on this.

--
Bernard Peek