Re: Some Laws

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 07:12:03 -0400

> Here are some that do:
>
> [Anything that writes files that it later reads back in.]

I disagree. There are applications that work just fine using nothing but some kind of tree shaped file under it.
A few months ago c.d.t. had a constant barrage of input on why Pick applications delivered more bang for the buck than relational DBMS applications.

I think the admiration for those applications was overextended. I think that they were a certain class of applications, ones that can remain both stable and relevant. And I think the notion that the RDM has been a big distraction from forward progress is just plain wrong. But that class of applications is of interest.

Now, I'm talking about relational (or SQL) modeled data vs. MV modeled data. That skirts your original point, of files vs DBMS. But I think they are related issues. Received on Mon Sep 20 2004 - 13:12:03 CEST

Original text of this message