Re: Some Laws

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 06:02:46 GMT

"--CELKO--" <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:18c7b3c2.0409190532.7d4a59d2_at_posting.google.com...
> >> Spight's Law: You have to have a Database <<
>
> There is an old Dilbert cartoon of the gang sitting at a meeting with
> the pointy-haired boss. The boss announces a new project and Wally
> immediately announces that they need to build a database. The boss
> replies that Wally does not know what the project is yet. Wally
> announces that it does not matter -- we just like to build databases.

(I recall another Dilbert cartoon the conclusion of which was the PHB deciding the database should be mauve.)

You can liken me to Wally all you like (ha ha!) but I still say that virtually every application of any modest complexity has to manage data, and the best tools yet invented for managing data are DBMSs.

Here are some applications that don't need to manage data:

   ls, cat, sort

Here are some that do:

   [Anything that writes files that it later reads back in.]

Think about it.

Marshall Received on Mon Sep 20 2004 - 08:02:46 CEST

Original text of this message