Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:45:12 -0400

> > "Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message
> >
> > > I think that database system development should be the privilege of
> > > people with at least an elementary knowledge on the basics of the data
> > > management field.
> >
> > This is absurd. Intellectual effort is not a privilege. It's a right.
>
> I am not talking about an intellectual effort, I am talking about a
> job that affects the life of many other people.

Okay. We're one step closer to agreement.

When you used the term "database system development" it wasn't clear that you meant a job. There are many people whose job title is "Programmer/Analyst", or "Associate Business System Analyst" who end up designing a database as part of a project.

And, again, I would submit that it is the work product of the job and not the job itself that affects the lives of many other people. This may seem like a trivial distinction, but it's not.

For contrast, compare to an air traffic controller: an air traffic controller shows up fatigued one day, and does a lousy job. In fact, he falls asleep during his shift. Due to good fortune and the care exercised by pilots, no disaster occurs. The phenomenon does not repeat. The controller returns to performing at a satisfactory level. In this case, there is no lasting harm, although we might want to investigate to see why even this singular event occurs.

By contrast, a database designer shows up one day, and submits for release a database a database he has been working on for several months. But just before release, he alters the design to incorporate some crazy ideas he has read about in news:comp.databases.theory. The consequences are terrible, and due to scheduling constraints the resulting database liimits the enterprise for the next five years. The designer comes to his senses the next day, but it's too late to repair the damage.

I know this sounds like an absurd example. But, if you've been to a lot of sites, you've seen some pretty absurd things. Except perhaps in Spain, where everyone is rational (outside of Pamplona). ;)

> I am not talking about the database design only. I use database system
> as a synonym of "Information System".

But I am talking about "Data Stores". This is a particular subsystem of larger information systems. And it's the subsystem that DBMS products a relevant to.

> And of course I am not talking about degrees of certifications.
> Unfortunately a degree does not guarantee knowledge, and fortunately
> there are very knowledgeable people without a degree or a
> certification.

Agreed.

But what other vetting process would you use in its place? Received on Tue Sep 07 2004 - 16:45:12 CEST

Original text of this message