Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 09:59:59 -0400

"Lauri Pietarinen" <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com> wrote in message news:e9d83568.0409052248.2524b1d1_at_posting.google.com...
> in implementation: it has taken a long time for the DBMS-shops to take
> updatable views seriously - not that it is a simple problem, but

Even if you don't take updateable views seriously, they can still be used to give readers of data
an additional level of data independence, one that shields them from changes to the schema
that could disrupt readers of the tables. (An example: decomposing a table into two tables. A user of a view
can simply be given a view that behaves as if the data were joined.)

A while ago, when I was in a more fun loving mood, I started a thread called "stupid database tricks".

One of the stupid database tricks I mentioned was:

"We don't use views at this shop. we tried them a while ago, and found that they yield bad performance."

The point behind that silly little joke is that people who talk like that almost certainly don't really understand or don't really accept what databases are FOR. Received on Mon Sep 06 2004 - 15:59:59 CEST

Original text of this message