Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 14:56:03 GMT

"Gene Wirchenko" <genew_at_mail.ocis.net> wrote in message news:hronj092gq9pu60enc9969qknpk1ch3mmo_at_4ax.com...
> "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote:
>
> >data is semistructured when the current context's view of it doesn't
> >expose all its structure. (Which emphatically is *not* saying it doesn't
> >have structure; it's just that not all of the structure is visible at once.)
>
> So why not use the terms "encapsulation" and "data hiding"?

Because those terms are already well established as meaning something related but distinct.

> The idea that something does not exist just because it is not
> visible is not terribly useful or accurate.

Admittedly there are some dufuses out there who may make statements about structure not existing, but the mere presence of people who don't get it doesn't mean we have to abandon the field. If it did, we'd all have to give up on the relational model because of MySQL.

Marshall Received on Mon Sep 06 2004 - 16:56:03 CEST

Original text of this message