Re: converting access db to mysql

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 15:31:05 GMT

In message <chcfuv$n00$1_at_bagan.srce.hr>, chicha <mario_at_blindsight.org> writes
>Hey people,
>
>I have to convert MS Access 2000 database into mysql database, the whole
>thing being part of this project I'm doing for one of my faculty
>classes. My professor somehow presumed I knew db's and gave me long list
>of things to do with that particular database, first thing being that
>particular conversion.

You can't just convert an Access database to MySQL because there are lots of things that Access can do that MySQL can't. You may be able to copy the data from an Access database to a MySQL Server but that's a trivially small part of a complete conversion.

> Truth is that I don't know a first thing about
>db's, let alone using mysql... I downloaded mysql form www.mysql.com and
> still searching for MS Access 2000 (it doesn't work with 2003 I have,
>or I don't know how to make it work).

Access 2003 should be able to open an Access 2000 database file. Check the file extension for the database file you have, do you have a file with a .MDB extension or is it something else?

>Any kind of help will be welcomed and highly appreciated!!!

Run away screaming. It's the most helpful thing I can suggest.

--
Bernard Peek