Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 10:10:45 +0200

Marshall Spight wrote:

> Tony Andrews wrote:
>

>>Marshall Spight wrote:
>>
>>>I think it happens about the time they realize the bogosity of ORM.
>>
>>Do you mean "Object Role Modelling" (www.orm.net), or is there another
>>meaning of ORM that I'm missing?  If so, I thought that was a
>>relatively little-known movement to supplant E-R analysis tools, not
>>something most application programmers would be interested in.

> Uh, sorry for being unclear. I mean "object-relational mapping." You
> know, those million-and-one projects on sourceforge to provide you
> with an object-based interface to your relational data, which comes
> merely at the cost of crippling the kinds of queries you can make.

Thank you for clearing that up. My guess was wrong, after all. Your statement becomes more interesting.

Why are these object-relational mapping projects bogus? Is it because bridging the impedance mismatch is not a worthwhile quest, is it because it it impossible or just because none of these projects has done a good job at it yet?

That the the kinds of queries you can make are limited by these projects is evident; their single purpose is to hide complexity from you.
Trade offs are to be expected.
However, if the relational interface
is of just the right complexity, every
encapsulating effort is futile, every
limit cripples. Received on Sat Sep 04 2004 - 10:10:45 CEST

Original text of this message