Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 12:41:51 -0400

"Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message news:uT%Zc.283318$eM2.118861_at_attbi_s51...

> I think it happens about the time they realize the bogosity of ORM.

I've never seen a large scale ORM project up close, so I wouldn't know about its bogosity.

But have seen the following about large scale object oriented systems more than once:

For the large scale projects that tend to work out well, there seems to be an emerging emphasis on "contracts".
"Contracts" distinguish between well behaved objects and rogue objects by the messages they send. The contract specifies a lot about the messages an object may send: when they may be sent, when they must be sent, what form they must adhere to, and what meaning may be attached to them. An object that breaches its contracts is a rogue object. If it fulfills its contracts at the interface, then we don't care what's inside the capsule.

Well, blame me if I don't think that's the rebirth of the data centric world view, with "messages" in place of "data" and "contracts" instead of "business rules". Of course they are using different terminology, and slightly different concepts, but still... Received on Fri Sep 03 2004 - 18:41:51 CEST

Original text of this message