Re: A Normalization Question

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Jul 2004 11:02:47 -0700

> > > It could be replaced by a parametrized query
> > > that ask the user for the string.

> > In that case, the info to spell 'brown' is coming from the user, not
> > from an empty db.
>
> Yes. The user ask the DBMS to spell 'brown'.
> For asking this, the user need to know how to spell 'brown' :-)
> This is why an empty db suffices :-)

It is like asking how to get $1000 from an empty bank account and someone suggesting by having a user deposit $1000 into it. The problem here is one of scope. Both the $1000 outside the bank and the string 'brown' supplied by a user outside the db are out of the original scope. If the scope is the universe, then the derivations provided have been correct. Received on Wed Jul 28 2004 - 20:02:47 CEST

Original text of this message