Re: A Normalization Question

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Jul 2004 10:27:03 -0700

> > The reason the redundant string 'brown' doesn't qualify for
> > normalization in RM is because RM's scope/definitions/standards are
> > limited.
>
> I'm not using RM's definitions. I'm using the general definition that
> applies to all data models that consist of sets, bags, lists, tuples,
> references and any data structure that can be described as made up of
> those.

You do not know all data models. Your limited definitions fail under some scopes in a data model that consists of things (which includes sets, bags, lists, tuples, etc). Your definitions do not allow you to recognize that following things are redundant: 'brown', 'brown', 'brown'.

> > ID Person Color Street
> > 1 brown brown brown
> >
> > One only needs to look at the above tuple to see 'brown' is redundant.
>
> The type of redundancy that you are talking about is irrelevant at the
> logical level.

The type of redundancy that you are talking about is limited. Received on Wed Jul 14 2004 - 19:27:03 CEST

Original text of this message