Re: Semi-structured data

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_mail.ocis.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:06:09 -0700

Costin Cozianu <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
>> Em Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:42:29 -0700, Costin Cozianu escreveu:

>>>Semistructured data has an obvious meaning, usefulness and applications

>> That being? Precisely, please.

>Well, you can use some reading, can't you ?
>
>Semi-structured means whose structure is only partially exposed to the
>processing application (where application can be database systems,
>client app, middleware, etc), i.e. it has hidden structure as far as the
>application is concerned.

     Hidden structure does not make it semi-structured. A wall that we can only see half of is not semi-contructed.

>>>which is accepted by the overwhelming majority of CS community.

>> That says nothing about its preciseness or usefulness.
>
>It says something very precise about the legitimacy of wannabe trolls on
>c.d.t who want to wave their magic hands and pretend there's some kind
>of truth or useful knowledge in their baseless claims.

     That paragraph could apply to you with the term "semi-structured". You can differentiate yourself from trolldom by either defining the term precisely or admitting you goofed here.

>> The
>> majority of the CS community uses Oracle or MS SQL Server, or some
>> other SQL flavour, on MS Windows; does not use functional programming
>> nor relational database systems nor formal methods.

>Falsehoods all over the place. There's no significant published research
>in database theory or any other branch of CS that "uses" Oracle or MS
>SQL Server, and all the other claims are trivially false and irrelevant.
>Who decreed that there's any good in the majority of CS community using
>FP languages ?
>
>Just grow up, will you ? Comp.database.theory has been in useless troll
>mode for months now, and you can't in all honesty blame it all on Pick fans.

     So why join in? We--there are at least two of us--want to see the definition you are using.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:

     I have preferences.