Re: Semi-structured data

From: Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:44:30 -0300

Em Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:06:00 -0700, Costin Cozianu escreveu:

>>>Semistructured data has an obvious meaning, usefulness and applications
>>
>> 	That being?  Precisely, please.

> Well, you can use some reading, can't you ?

        I am asking you to provide what you consider to be the precise meaning of semistructured data. Meaning I want to do some reading.

        The reason I ask you instead of Google is that Google returns nothing useful.

> Semi-structured means whose structure is only partially exposed to the
> processing application (where application can be database systems,
> client app, middleware, etc), i.e. it has hidden structure as far as the
> application is concerned.

        So it is not semistructured at all. It simply means that not all structure is known or relevant to the system.

        This is precisely what we mean by scalar values and types. Ergo, as we set out to demonstrate, it is an useless concept.

>>>which is accepted by the overwhelming majority of CS community.
>>
>> 	That says nothing about its preciseness or usefulness.

> It says something very precise about the legitimacy of wannabe trolls on
> c.d.t who want to wave their magic hands and pretend there's some kind
> of truth or useful knowledge in their baseless claims.

        I don’t follow your reasoning here. I suspect because there’s more anger than reasoning in this your paragraph.

>> The
>> majority of the CS community uses Oracle or MS SQL Server, or some
>> other SQL flavour, on MS Windows; does not use functional programming
>> nor relational database systems nor formal methods.

> Falsehoods all over the place. There's no significant published research
> in database theory or any other branch of CS that "uses" Oracle or MS
> SQL Server, and all the other claims are trivially false and
> irrelevant.

        If you were right, there wouldn’t be so much SQL, OO, XML crap all around.

> Who decreed that there's any good in the majority of CS community
> using FP languages ?

        OT… and irrelevant. I only painted a broad picture of the field, I’m not wanting to argue every single point of it here.

> Just grow up, will you ? Comp.database.theory has been in useless
> troll mode for months now, and you can't in all honesty blame it all
> on Pick fans.

        Don’t feed the trolls.

        Unless you yourself is the said one.

        Does not accepting mumbo-jumbo qualifies as trolling?

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219
Av Sgto Geraldo Santana, 1100 6/71        leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm