Re: Nearest Common Ancestor Report (XDb1's $1000 Challenge)

From: Hugo Kornelis <hugo_at_pe_NO_rFact.in_SPAM_fo>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 23:18:06 +0200

On 28 May 2004 14:53:17 -0700, Neo wrote:

>> > For example, in XDb1, if user right clicks the tree root node labeled
>> > 'thing' (which is the root of the class hierarchy), the nearest common
>> > ancestor class report is generated.
>>
>> Yes indeed. And it looks like this:
>>
>> Common Ancestor Report for 'thing'
>> ThingX ThingY CmnAnc Dist
>> Time elapsed: 15 msec
>>
>> Wow! I'm impressed. 15 msec to produce ... nothing!!
>
>Below is a small portion of the 200 KB Common Ancestor Report for the
>root node with XDb1 (v4.5.3) on a db without any user entered data.
>One can run the new exe version with existing dbs to verify that there
>were no changes to db structure (earlier exe version didn't pass the
>correct parameters to the report generator for root node).

Hi Neo,

Wow, great! You changed your app. Your previous version didn't generate anything; this version generates a over 300 KB (for the Ex076 db) of worthless data, leaving the daunting task of finding the few rows that do have some relevance to the user.

If I buy a tool that can store class hierarchies, take the time to enter my class hierarchy in that tool and then require a report, I'm not interested in the inner workings of that tool. I don't even WANT to know what the nearest common ancestor of 'mary' and 'l' is, as 'l' is not an entry in *MY* class hierarchy.

If I were to show some data from MS SQL Server's system tables in all reports I make for my clients, I'd be jobless in an instant.

Best, Hugo

--

(Remove _NO_ and _SPAM_ to get my e-mail address)