Re: Is Ingres yet relational?

From: Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 17:00:57 -0300

Em Tue, 25 May 2004 11:00:31 -0700, Tony Douglas escreveu:

> Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.05.25.13.55.40.902296_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>...
>

>> I do remember from old discussions not necessarily here that
>> Ingres' QUEL was relational.

> Hmmm - it's closer to the relational calculus than SQL is, and has
> nowhere near as much redundancy as SQL, but it still handles SQL style
> tables and all.

        So I understand it would be a nicer language to work on, especially if one could build his applications QUEL only.

        I wonder if such a QUEL-only applications would avoid duplicates, NULLs and the such.

        It could be interesting to build such applications. I wonder if QUEL as it is now is rich enough for modern applications... one would need to justify dearly not using the intergalatic dataspeak.

> Yes, QUEL is very much alive and kicking (indeed some of the system
> catalogue views are still written in QUEL rather than SQL).

        So the product as a whole has became dependant on SQL...

>> 3) Where to find such information?

> The QUEL reference manual will be lurking somewhere on CA's website as
> a PDF document. The QUEL language itself hasn't changed much (if at
> all) in quite a while, so an old manual will still get you a long way.
> Failing that, you should be able to get it from the open source site
> as and when.

        Found it, thank you.

        The licensing of Ingres isn't yet clear, but the fact that CA didn't use neither the BSD nor the GNU GPL doesn't bode well for code reusability. It could still be interesting as, say, a backend for Alphora Dataphor or something the like, or even to develop QUEL in a full D. I wonder how much exorcising SQL would take...

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219
Av Sgto Geraldo Santana, 1100 6/71               +55 (11) 5686 9607