Re: Is Ingres yet relational?

From: Paul Mason <Paul_member_at_newsguy.com>
Date: 26 May 2004 07:06:27 -0700

In article <pan.2004.05.25.20.00.50.519078_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>, Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra says...

>Em Tue, 25 May 2004 11:00:31 -0700, Tony Douglas escreveu:
>
>>Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm> wrote in
>>message news:<pan.2004.05.25.13.55.40.902296_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>...
>>
>>> I do remember from old discussions not necessarily here that
>>> Ingres' QUEL was relational.
>>
>> Hmmm - it's closer to the relational calculus than SQL is, and has
>> nowhere near as much redundancy as SQL, but it still handles SQL style
>> tables and all.
>
> So I understand it would be a nicer language to work on,
>especially if one could build his applications QUEL only.

One could. EQUEL pre-processors for 3GL exist and ABF (CUI forms 4GL language) supports QUEL.

> I wonder if such a QUEL-only applications would avoid
>duplicates, NULLs and the such.

If you specifically wrote your application that way it would. NULLs and duplicates exist but you're not forced to use them.

> It could be interesting to build such applications. I wonder
>if QUEL as it is now is rich enough for modern applications... one
>would need to justify dearly not using the intergalatic dataspeak.
>

>> Yes, QUEL is very much alive and kicking (indeed some of the system
>> catalogue views are still written in QUEL rather than SQL).
>
> So the product as a whole has became dependant on SQL...

Depends what you mean. You can run Ingres, write applications for it and never have to type an SQL command - however some tools will use SQL themselves. You can also run QUEL queries against views defined in SQL - so you do not need to rely on SQL to query the system catalogs (many of which are still defined in QUEL) HTH
Paul Received on Wed May 26 2004 - 16:06:27 CEST

Original text of this message