Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 10:42:30 GMT

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:Aq2dneQq0fh4YCzd4p2dnA_at_comcast.com...

> "mountain man" <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op> wrote in message
> > We define the concept of organizational intelligence as the dynamic
> > sum of all levels of code associated with an organization's database
> > system, in addition to the data and the data structure.
> >
> > We then make the claim that in the final analysis it is in fact the
> > management of organizational intelligence, rather than the data,
> > that is the essence of the theory of database systems
> > management.
> >
> > Is this claim reasonable?
>
> No, it is not.
>
> What you have done is take a term "database systems management" and
> appropriate it to what your real interest is. Your real interest appears
> be "the management of everything". Now it's fine to be interested in
that.

> Just don't call it "database systems management".

If "database systems management" could evolve and grow up, from the foundation of the data model where it has been focussed for the last 30 years, you would find, I believe, that it needs to address the issue of organizational intelligence.

> Databases are about the storing and sharing of data. It goes without
saying
> that the clients of a database are going to add value to the data, in
their
> own way.

It is far more than *goes without saying*.

The clients are interconnected to the database in complex but theoretically addressable configurations. They are unquestionably mapped to the data model, explicitly. But the current relational model is mute, silent, and unintelligent concerning their global functionality, because the current model looks to the data.

Pete Brown
Falls Creek
Oz

Is the Relational Model some Platonic idealised form that hovers in that shimmering land of absolutes where there is no change, and all things are idealised?

If so, it will be a useful for a period of time while reality matches what it has to say. But then will arrive a time of divergence.

And I say that this divergence started in 1979 with the first RDBMS software, since which time, the theory of the Relational Model of the data, was implemented in (RDBMS) software.

The divergence became completely formed with the emergence of stored procedures in the RDBMS software, and the use of these objects by the RDBMS software as application components. Received on Tue May 25 2004 - 12:42:30 CEST

Original text of this message