Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: Alan <alan_at_erols.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 09:59:00 -0400

"The essence of the theory..."? That is a rather broad statement. But anyway, it works like this:

  1. Raw facts that have an implicit meaning are identified in the "real world" (business needs, e.g.) and stored in the database. This is called data.
  2. The data was organized properly by having applied normalization rules.
  3. Once this is done, the data can be turned into information by applying appropriate queries.

It is _all_ part of the "essence of the theory". You (I don't necessarily mean _you_, personally) can't factor out just the part you want to mentally masturbate to. Unless you need to for a thesis, at which time you take obvious, common sense knowledge, apply polysyllabic (if possible Greek, Latin, or mathematical, or certainly at least pseudo-technical) terms to it, cast some unitelligible title of at least 15 words to it (again, using the polysyllabic), and then defend it against professionals who have mastered the art of the arcane and nonsensical. Once they are sufficiently confused by it, and so can no longer argue with you about it, you are welcomed to the circle. You then get to travel around presenting your work at conferences in interesting locations all over the world, where you and the others in the circle take turns being confused while pretending to understand. But I digress.

In short, while this newsgroup is about theory, it doesn't mean you have to have one of your own.