Re: c.d.theory glossary - NULL

From: Senny <sennomo_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:33:57 GMT

I have a simple (and incomplete) definition. This post is less grandiose than my usual linguistic fare, but perhaps more helpful.

*null*

/adj./

  1. Attributes to something the absence of value. Ex: "The *null* set is the empty set, often represented by {}."

/n. colloq./

  1. An noted appearance of the absence of value. Ex: "This table contains *nulls*."

Notes on common usage:

  • Confusion arises when people use terms like "null value", which is quite a paradox.
  • Confusion arises due to the fact that nullness (the absence of value) is often represented on computers by the number 0. (Obviously, 0 is not null.)
  • In some contexts, 'null' and 'nil' mean the same thing; in others, they do not.

--Senny Received on Sat Apr 24 2004 - 21:33:57 CEST

Original text of this message