Re: Grammatical Inconsistencies

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:57:19 -0400

It's not obvious at all.

I have in fact crossed two disjoint sets, in order to do some pattern recognition that might establish a relationship between them, ultimately leading to a data item that encoded that relationship.

It turns out there was such a data item in existence, but unknown to anyof the SMEs I was working with. Making sense out of the Cartesian product turned out to be just the impetus needed.

BTW, one of my pet peeves with SQL is that the syntax does not distinguish between join conditions and restriction conditions. There all lumped together in the WHERE clause. To be fair to the creators of SQL, such a distinction is not truly necessary. It's logically equivalent, and a good optimizer can figure out what to do first.

But I've seen any number of bugs in SQL queries that are traceable to an incorrect join condition, and other languages that do make this distinction suffer from fewer logical errors in this regard. Received on Sat Apr 24 2004 - 08:57:19 CDT