LDAP, DNS, & M-cards

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:22:08 -0500

I was just reading a little about LDAP because I often hear it talked about as a including (or even being) a hierarchical database. That led to reading a bit about DNS and there was a statement about various DNS record types such as the list on the page
http://www.uga.edu/~ucns/lans/tcpipsem/dns.types.html

What I haven't been able to figure out is if the "record types" are hosted in separate tables (one table per type) or if DNS has that "M-card design pattern" thing going. If it is the latter then I can use DNS as an example of records defined a variety of different ways, while being stored with a shared "base table"-ish and I don't have to sound so old bringing up M & T cards and the like from batch-programming days gone by.

Does anyone know how DNS handles these different record types or can you point me to a good URL for more info that would describe the underlying data structures? Thanks. --dawn Received on Sun Apr 18 2004 - 02:22:08 CEST

Original text of this message