Re: Should an application ever be allowed to change a schema?

From: Timothy J. Bruce <uniblab_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Apr 2004 17:12:22 -0700

Karen:

> Critical constraints are included in the database that
> are common to all users of the data. The middleware applications may
> impose their own local constraints which are not critical to the
> integrity of the data.

*ALL* constraints are critical to and for integrity, and therefore belong in the DBMS, as declaritive constraints when possible. I am aware that many products offered today may not offer the level of control and logic I insist apon, thus making the scenario you described above more common than most suspect.

Just because I should doesn't mean I can, Timothy J. Bruce
uniblab_at_hotmail.com
</RANT> Received on Sun Apr 18 2004 - 02:12:22 CEST

Original text of this message