Re: LDAP, DNS, & M-cards

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 05:18:30 +0200

Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:

> ... What I haven't been able to figure out is if the "record types" are hosted
> in separate tables (one table per type) ...

AFAIK the DNS is a distributed hierarchical database implemented as a protocol.
Any server or resolver complying to that protocol could be said to be part of the dbms. Any such program is free to choose whatever way to maintain it's part of the data, as long as it talks with the other programs in adherence to the protocol. BIND is such a program.

> or if DNS has that "M-card design pattern" thing going.

What's that?

> Does anyone know how DNS handles these different record types or can you
> point me to a good URL for more info that would describe the underlying data
> structures?

Every participating program needs to have some underlying data stucture, of course - but they may all be different. Received on Sun Apr 18 2004 - 05:18:30 CEST

Original text of this message