Re: Pizza Example

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:59:10 +0200

Jan Hidders wrote:

> Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:
>

>> Jan Hidders wrote:

>>> Indeed, but you did make certain query-optimizations impossible.
>>
>> If there were emperical data suggesting that queries on this model in
>> PICK were faster than those on a 1NF model in any DBMS
>> purporting to be relational, then I would not be concerned.

> My goodness. Do I really have to explain to you what the trade-offs are
> between a DBMS with a declarative query language and a good query
> optimizer vs. a system with an imperative query language and no query
> optimizer?

Before answering I ignored "My goodness", explained "to you" as "to the valued readers of this newsgroup", and substituted "Do I really have to" by "Is it ok if I".

An explanation of these trade-offs in general may be interesting in another thread. In this one, they are only on topic if they are stated such that they somehow help shaping (that part of) a database which supports the taking of pizza orders. Take your pick (pun unintented). Received on Fri Apr 09 2004 - 11:59:10 CEST

Original text of this message