Re: How is this collection called?

From: Michael Mendelsohn <keine.Werbung.1300_at_msgid.michael.mendelsohn.de>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 10:12:28 +0200

"Timothy J. Bruce" schrieb:
> On the other hand: thanks for the tip. Allowing sets which contain sets
> of the same type as elements sounds `fishy' to me,

Well, you get a possible reference loop when you add the set to itself. If you have an array a of references, and add a reference to the array a to itself, then any algorithm that doesn't limit the nesting depth could get in trouble - the data structure's graph would have loops, and that could translate to infinite program loops, much as Russell set up a logical loop. OTOH, we're quite used to dealing with graphs with cycles by now. ;)

> and I'll be sure to ask
> myself `what does this imply?' at every page in his work when next I visit
> the local university library.

I admire this. I've never managed to keep this up through a whole book; the times when I sit back and ponder are usually selected intuitively.

Michael

--
Feel the stare of my burning hamster and stop smoking!