Re: How is this collection called?

From: Timothy J. Bruce <uniblab_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 03:01:08 GMT

Jan et al:

You raise a point, but in science no authority, even one as Knuth, holds a monopoly on truth. As scientists we must rely on facts, which are independant of opinion, and are verifiably True or verifiably False in Brown's work.

I used to regularly meet with Sagan before his death when I lived in North-East Pennsylvania (only 90 minutes from Ithaca) at a tavern/restauraunt my cousin owns (near a University he sometimes visited in Pennsylvania). He impressed upon me a great many truisms, of which the best is `anecdote is not the same as, nor may it replace, evidence'. Computing is too important to be governed by opinions, _especially_ opinions from `authorities' (this is called The Scientific Method). If Brown's work is False, then it will be self-evident from his published works.

On the other hand: thanks for the tip. Allowing sets which contain sets of the same type as elements sounds `fishy' to me, and I'll be sure to ask myself `what does this imply?' at every page in his work when next I visit the local university library.

Even Knuth has an asshole,
Timothy J. Bruce
uniblab_at_hotmail.com
</RANT> Received on Fri Apr 09 2004 - 05:01:08 CEST

Original text of this message