The Name of the Rows

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:48:59 -0400

Periodically someone in this forum fulminates against the use of the terms "field" and "record" instead of "column" and "row". (are you listening, Joe?) I do agree that right terminology is helpful.

But I've seen plenty of garbage documented in terms of rows, columns and tables. I've also seen plenty of well designed data described as fields and records. If the substance is right, the terminology used is a minor issue for me. If the substance is wrong, no amount of euphemism can make it right.

It's like the people who say that Mark Twain is no longer "politically correct", because he used a "bad word" to describe Jim, in Huckleberry Finn. Give me a break! Received on Wed Apr 07 2004 - 18:48:59 CEST

Original text of this message