Re: The Name of the Rows

From: Eric Kaun <ekaun_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 20:19:55 GMT

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:sNudnU0P0I5NrendRVn-uw_at_comcast.com...
> Periodically someone in this forum fulminates against the use of the terms
> "field" and "record" instead of "column" and "row". (are you listening,
> Joe?) I do agree that right terminology is helpful.
>
> But I've seen plenty of garbage documented in terms of rows, columns and
> tables. I've also seen plenty of well designed data described as fields
and
> records. If the substance is right, the terminology used is a minor
issue
> for me. If the substance is wrong, no amount of euphemism can make it
> right.
>
> It's like the people who say that Mark Twain is no longer "politically
> correct", because he used a "bad word" to describe Jim, in Huckleberry
> Finn. Give me a break!

P.S. My working assumption is that if it's inexpensive to be precise, you should be precise. Easier said than done sometimes, but language does have a great effect on the human brain.

And if it's expensive to be precise, that tells you something... Received on Wed Apr 07 2004 - 22:19:55 CEST

Original text of this message