Re: Xquery might have some things right

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 10:41:57 -0600

"Eric Kaun" <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:zr02c.32190$XD3.7410_at_newssvr16.news.prodigy.com...
> "Corey Brown" <corey_at_spectrumsoftware.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Eric Kaun" <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > "Corey Brown" <corey_at_spectrumsoftware.net> wrote in message
<snip>
I'm not advocating comma-delimited, by the way - just mentioning that I've
> yet to see many of the stated benefits of XML materialize for me.

I agree, with the exception of making it easier to move nested data from one place to another without 1NF-ing if first, XML is just one tiny step up from comma-quote. And comma-quote was just one tiny step up from putting data in various "card columns" (on real or virtual cards).

While there are definitely benefits today for those of us who don't do that 1NF thing ;-) the benefits to those with RDBMS's will not be there until the XML documents are able to be used as a standard input and output format that is wrapped in a standard wrapper (e.g. SOAP, somewhat analogous to ODBC) for communication between a client and a service. The standard could have been based on comma-quote or even card columns for that matter (although there is no metadata with those), but it wasn't.

I'll agree that XML is a teeny-tiny step for data exchange purposes, but the services design pattern that just might emerge as a standard along with XML documents does hold some promise, I think. Cheers! --dawn Received on Fri Mar 05 2004 - 17:41:57 CET

Original text of this message