Re: Can these constraint be implemented in an RDBMS ?

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 07:22:43 -0600

"Roy Hann" <rhann_at_globalnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:c27717$d81$1_at_titan.btinternet.com...
> "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message
> > "Roy Hann" <rhann_at_globalnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > Our OED CD is with the hubby right now, but count me as someone who uses
> > dictionary well into adulthood. I don't think I'll be outgrowing that.
> > did figure I should get ribbed for using dictionary.com. When there are
> > disagreements on the meaning of a term in a language, a dictionary is a
> > valuable tool for advancing the discussion, in my opinion.
>
> Then you are mistaken. The job of a dictionary is to publicise the
> (inferred) meanings that writers have intended when they used a
> word. It certainly does not certify that the intended meaning is correct,
> only that the word appears to have been used that way. Thus the
dictionary
> defines "transistor" as a radio even though it is no such thing.

I said nothing that was in disagreement with this. "Advancing the discussion" is far from settling the matter. By the way, did you just tell me how the dictionary defined "transistor"? Why in the world would you do that? Ah, I see, it was in order to advance the discussion. smiles. --dawn Received on Thu Mar 04 2004 - 14:22:43 CET

Original text of this message