Re: Can these constraint be implemented in an RDBMS ?

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:30:37 -0600

"Roy Hann" <rhann_at_globalnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:c25hm1$m7k$1_at_sparta.btinternet.com...
> "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message
> > "Roy Hann" <rhann_at_globalnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> I didn't think people used dictionary definitions in arguments after about
> grade 8. But since you have I will quote one of my own from the OED,
> "Theory: in loose or general sense: a hypothesis proposed as an
> explanation". This appears to be the sense you are using--the loose
> informal sense.

Our OED CD is with the hubby right now, but count me as someone who uses a dictionary well into adulthood. I don't think I'll be outgrowing that. I did figure I should get ribbed for using dictionary.com. When there are disagreements on the meaning of a term in a language, a dictionary is a valuable tool for advancing the discussion, in my opinion.

>I seem to recall you boasting about a masters degree in
> mathematics. I would expect you to aspire to some mathematical rigour,
not
> loose generality.

I rather doubt I boasted about this since I cut out without pursuing a Ph.D. (had babies instead and THAT I am quite happy to boast about!!) but I believe that when it is suggested that I present a logical arguement or a hypothesis that is not mathematical in nature because I am clueless re the mathematics of relational theory, I have made the claim that while it is conceivable that I am stupid, I am not ignorant of mathematics. So, if you took it as a boast, please revise your perception on that. It is a piece of demographic data, as far as I am concerned. The fact that I'm a third-generation Dutchman with brown eyes has not been relevant to the discussion, so I have not provided that demographic data in any responses.

> > Of course, we don't want only untested theories. smiles. --dawn

> By my understanding of the term "theory" there is no such thing as an
> "untested theory". There are theories, which are coherent, tested, and
> provisionally accepted, and there is the rest: hypothesis, conjecture,
> misconception, fantasy, and drivel.

You mean like the big bang theory and the creation theory, right? Since your OED is handy and mine isn't, how 'bout passing along all definitions of the word "theory" (not that defintions of terms from dictionaries are relevant to any discussion after 8th grade, but ...)

smiles. --dawn Received on Wed Mar 03 2004 - 22:30:37 CET

Original text of this message