Re: citations of nature

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:42:39 -0600

"Anith Sen" <anith_at_bizdatasolutions.com> wrote in message news:uPMKb.12912$6B.6576_at_newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message
> > "Anith Sen" <anith_at_bizdatasolutions.com> wrote in message
> > > "mountain man" <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op> wrote in message

> > > some
> > > think
> > do
> too...?

> > > Pete,
> > >
> > > The statement, which you seem agree with, is in no way "more
practical"
> > than
> > > Darwen's observation. In fact, the statement given by Dawn doesn't
> define
> > > database correctly -- Data in a storage device, with "information
about
> > that
> > > data", is not a database; just think about it.
> > >
> > > A set of propositions is a formal, succinct, clear and generic
> definition
> > of
> > > a database.
> > >
> > > To understand why this is the correct interpretation of a database,
you
> > have
> > > to know precisely what data is, how one should represent data to
derive
> > > maximum benefits, why it is important to separate data storage aspects
> > from
> > > data representation etc. These are not academic treatments, as you put
> it;
> > > but simple yet crucial fundamentals which you ought to know.
> > >
> > > --
> > > - Anith
> > > ( Please reply to newsgroups only )
> > >

> > I would agree that there certainly could be a word that means "a set of
> > propositions" but if someone tells me that they have a database, I
expect
> it
> > to be a set of propositions that are stored somewhere and that can be
> > queried, don't you?

> I think you are emphasizing about storing data, perhaps since your
> background deals with structures that do not have a concept of data
> independence. Database is a logical concept and how it maps to the
physical
> model ( files/ storage/ disk/ distribution etc. ) is mostly irrelevant to
> the user

I have no problem with abstract concepts (as my masters degree in pure mathematics might attest to) and I do understand the abstract concept of a data model. However, I think there ought to be a word for what most people call a "database" as in "how can I access that database?" or "when was the test database last refreshed with production data?" or "can you download that information from your database into a spreadsheet for me?" or "we need to do a restore of the database from last night"

For THAT concept -- the one where a database actually exists and can be actually query and not just abstractly queried, what word do you use? --dawn

> > It is fine to take abstract concepts and define them
> > abstractly, but to take a word that for decades has been interpreted to
> mean
> > something concrete and extract only the abstract qualities of it, seems
> > irresponsible. Otherwise, what would you call what I think is a
database?

> > Thanks! --dawn
> >

> --
> - Anith
> ( Please reply to newsgroups only )
>
> Received on Wed Jan 07 2004 - 16:42:39 CET

Original text of this message