Re: equivalence of functional dependencies

From: shannon <shannon_at_nolunchmeat.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 22:48:17 +0100

I have tried an example from the elmasri book, perhaps somebody can pass judgement on my logic,

two sets of functional dependencies F= {A > C, AC > D, E > AD, E > H} and G = {A > CD, E > AH}. Check whether or not they are equivalent.

here I make conclusion that they are not equivalent,

E > AD, E > H will as union give me E > ADH

therefore E > AH not deductible

A > C, AC > D will not help to derive A > CD either,

thanks

Shannon