Re: Can FK be nullable/optional by design?

From: Bruce Lewis <brlspam_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 01 Dec 2003 09:35:24 -0500

net__space_at_hotmail.com (Andy) writes:

> General statement: FK should not be nullabe to avoid orphans in DB.

I don't see the reasoning behind this statement. Any column that references keys to another table should be explicitly specified as such to avoid orphans.

If that column may sometimes be unknown/unspecified for perfectly valid records, I see no reason not to make it nullable.

--
"Notwithstanding fervent argument that patent protection is essential
 for the growth of the software industry, commentators have noted