Re: OOP - a question about database access

From: Alain Javier Guarnieri del Gesu <nntp_at_ajgdg.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 19:08:06 GMT

>> > Coming in to the thread a little late, but, do you feel that OO is
>> > infertile and a waste of time for developing, say windowing
>> > environments, or a web server? It seems to me that is is a useful
>> > disicpline for certian applications. I've always found the Person ->
>> > Employee -> SalariedEmployee example to be contrived, but I don't
>> > see how one goes about game programming in relational algebra.

>> People who feel that OO works well in some places but not
>> others do not seem to deliver consistent answers about
>> when and where OO works best.

> The problem I see with your statement above is the difference between well > and best. OO can work well in some places without ever working best.

[snip]
>> This would be like
>> chemistry, geometry, etc. I don't
>> really have a strong opinion on that aspect because I
>> don't work in those domains. I am more familiar with
>> human-created domains of business and society.

> I don't see how the location-based computational model provides advantages > to any application domain. How would it benefit chemistry, for instance?

Wouldn't object oriented programmig work well to create a drawing application where you are modeling the location of geometric shapes? It seems that that sort of application, or a window toolkit makes for a good fit with objects. I'd be very interested in learning of an alternative model.

Chemistry probably has a better computational model, a higher level of absraction, but I wouldn't know since I am not a chemist.

--
Javi