Re: OOP - a question about database access

From: Topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com>
Date: 8 Nov 2003 23:26:42 -0800

> > Personally, I do not hang out in comp.object. Having long ago
> > mastered the technology, I find comp.object infertile ground and a
> > waste of time. I foresee no important advances there given the
> > primitiveness of the computational model and the distinct lack of
> > advances in past decades. You only see my posts because this
> > thread is cross-posted to comp.databases.theory, where I see very
> > fertile ground.
>
> Coming in to the thread a little late, but, do you feel that OO is
> infertile and a waste of time for developing, say windowing
> environments, or a web server? It seems to me that is is a useful
> disicpline for certian applications. I've always found the Person ->
> Employee -> SalariedEmployee example to be contrived, but I don't
> see how one goes about game programming in relational algebra.

People who feel that OO works well in some places but not others do not seem to deliver consistent answers about when and where OO works best. The only semi-consistency I find is that OO may work better where there are natural, stable taxonomies or classifications or sub-types of things. This would be like chemistry, geometry, etc. I don't
really have a strong opinion on that aspect because I don't work in those domains. I am more familiar with human-created domains of business and society.

-T- Received on Sun Nov 09 2003 - 08:26:42 CET

Original text of this message