Re: A database of electoral results?

From: Paul <paul_at_not.a.chance.ie>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:10:40 -0000

rhann_at_globalnet.co.uk says...

> > I'm disappointed that nobody has any input on this - I would have
> > thought that it would be interesting from a database practitioner's
> > point of view to expand on this topic - Oh well, I'm just going to have
> > to invent my own models!

> You would have to do much of that work anyway,

Sure, of course - I wasn't suggesting that I wouldn't have to do any work myself.

> because how else could you
> judge that you were selecting the correct model from among those being
> offered?

As I say, I wasn't expecting a knight with a shining Oracle box to drop an answer into my sweaty little paw.

What has disappointed me is that I got no feedback whatsoever on the topic - somebody somewhere must have done work on this topic, and I thought that I could look at what was done before and build on it (à la Newton - shoulders of giants &c.).

I would have thought that it was a suitable and interesting topic for this ng.

Obviously the convoluted (but extremely democratic - i.e. what the people vote for, the people get, unlike in some countries that I could name - ahem... Mr Bush are you listening?) form of Irish elections will require significant work (in the NoI for example, one can have fractions of a vote - i.e. no integers), a typical ballot has about 10 - 12 counts as votes are transferred from candidate to candidate and candidates are eliminated.

Paul...

--

plinehan__AT__yahoo__DOT__com

C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

Please do not top-post.