A database of electoral results?

From: Paul <paul_at_not.a.chance.ie>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:41:47 -0000

Hi all,

I am planning a database of the results for the NoI (North of Ireland) assembly elections.

Background information can be found here http://www.ark.ac.uk/elections/

For those not used to the STV PR method used in elections in Ireland (the State) or the NoI (still part of the United Kingdom), all I can suggest is to search for STV PR on your favourite search engine.

Basically constituencies are multi-seats and voters vote for their choice in order of preference (1,2,3,4... &c.) and when a person is elected, their surplus is transferred to still unelected candidates.

It's quite a complex system, and makes for great amateur psephology.

This will be a proper SQL database that will allow for sophisticated queries about the results.

What I would like to know from this group is:

"Does anybody know of logical and/or data models that have been used in
the past to model election data?" - i.e. Candidate, Constituency,
Party, Election &c. (Sample tables and fields would be nice! 8-);

And,

"Particularly in the case of STV PR elections?":

BTW, I did search in the library of free datamodels here http://www.databaseanswers.com/data_models/index.htm and found nothing.

Any URL's, references, discussions, texts, ideas &c. welcome.

Paul...

I did look at
http://bolson.org/voting/essay.html
and
http://www.logicaldatastructures.com/elections.htm

and I don't see much there.

--

plinehan__AT__yahoo__DOT__com

C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

Please do not top-post.