Re: dbms/rdbms software & its environment

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 02:03:01 GMT

"Ruud de Koter" <ruud_dekoter_at_hp.com> wrote in message news:3FA0CEBA.654D6439_at_hp.com...
> Hi there,

Good day.

> mountain man wrote:
> >
> > There have been a few astute posts here and there
> > to the effect that notwithstanding the benefit of the
> > development of "the relational model" for databases,
> > for the last 20 years database theory (a la Date for
> > example) has remained database centric in its thinking.
> >

> You 're doing the same trick again: need to get the computer environment
into
> database theory, 'cause it 's incomplete without it.

What I am doing is trying to understand this implication.

Is there anything wrong with trying to understand the nature of a generalised computer system (os, rdbms,apps) in which the apps environment has been contained within the rdbms?

See below...

> Gosh: need to get the organizational environment into computing theory,
'cause
> it 's no use without organization (wasn't it you writing about
organizational
> intellegence).
>
> Yeah: we 'll have to get the society as a whole into the organizational
theory,
> 'cause the organization does not function in a vacuum.

My article was about a term labelled organisational intelligence. It is not a term used widely in theory.
As I have found since, the term is mainly used in selling. This is unfortunate. My aim is the theory here.

However in my article I defined OI quite specifically. Firstly I loosely defined it to be that OI contained in the computer software.
by this ... "the sum of the data plus the sum of the source code"

I then derived a formula for the location and distribution of this OI across a client server software environment consistent of:

* operating system software
* rdbms software
* application system software

Give us a break. Do you understand the formula?

> Your approach will lead you to a theory of everything. There are, at least
to my
> knowledge, no good examples of theories of everything. That is simply to
> complicated.

I agree. TOES are not the whole appendage system. You have missed the fundamental.

In my case however, this theory has emerged after the contruction of a software tool for the sql server rdbms whereby application software components can be configured and stored as rdbms stored procedures.

This tool is not complicated.
It is not a theory. It is a tool I developed in my trade as a database engineer which has the potential to change the way application system software components are stored.

When an entire suite of application system software components are represented and function as stored procedures within the rdbms then what is left external to the rdbms software? Only this tool, functioning as the interface between the user and the database.

> One of the first steps in theory-building is choosing a limited field of
which
> you can build a good (simplified) model. Try and make that step.

In this case I have built the software first, as a tool of my trade. It is a concrete thing, very simple, very straightforward.

I walk into a sql server site with the tool and need no other application development tool to commence the development of applications. The application development is accomplished by the development of stored procedures. All this is quite internal to the rdbms.

Nothing is external to the rdbms enviornment, except the tool. (In terms of OI as defined: source code of the software and the data)

I am trying to understand if this has theoretical implications.

> Regards,
>
> Ruud.

Best wishes,

Farmer Brown