Re: foundations of relational theory? - some references for the truly starving

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:22:33 +0100

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/ims/

>http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/ims/presentations/two/imsoverview/index.
htm

> >a.. "More than ninety-five percent of the Fortune 1000 companies use IMS.
> >IMS serves 200 million end users, managing over 15 billion Gigabytes of
> >production data and processing over 50 billion transactions every day.
IMS
> >still owns the high-volume on-line transaction and database management
> >environment. IMS customers have been driving their own growth with IMS -
> >over 79 million transactions were handled by one customer in a single day
on
> >a single sysplex system, 30 Million Trans/Day on a single CEC. 7 million
> >Transactions/ hour and 120 million transactions/day were handled by
another
> >customer. IMS in-house testing has reached over 4000 transactions/sec
across
> >TCP/IP to a single IMS on a single machine (G6). And we have reached
11,246
> >trans/sec (nearly 1 Billion trans/day) with IMS Data/Queued Sharing on a
> >2-CPC Sysplex.. One large customer has also indicated they have reached
over
> >3000 days without an outage and another over 2000 days and still going
> >strong. "
> >
> Hay, I think thir referres to IMS/TM, the transaction monitor, and not
> IMS/DB (aka DL/I). I
> would presume that most of the time they are running mainly DB2
> applications under IMS
> (and perhaps the stray DL/I database in the mix)

I wouldn't presume that. I'm reasonably sure that "managing over 15 billion Gigabytes of production data" means managing it in IMS/DB. Can you even run IMS/TM over DB2? (OK, so I guess I should really know that already, but I don't :-)

"IMS is a database and transaction management system. A Database is a collection of interrelated data items, stored once and organized in a form for easy retrieval. A Database Management System is a collection of programs for storing organizing, selecting, modifying, and extracting data from a database. An IMS database is organized hierarchically with levels of data, each dependent on the higher level"

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Wed Oct 22 2003 - 16:22:33 CEST

Original text of this message