Re: foundations of relational theory? - some references for the truly starving

From: Lauri Pietarinen <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:49:22 +0300

Paul Vernon wrote:

>"Lauri Pietarinen" <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com> wrote in message
>

>>>trans/sec (nearly 1 Billion trans/day) with IMS Data/Queued Sharing on a
>>>2-CPC Sysplex.. One large customer has also indicated they have reached
>>>

>over
>

>>>3000 days without an outage and another over 2000 days and still going
>>>strong. "
>>>

>>Hay, I think thir referres to IMS/TM, the transaction monitor, and not
>>IMS/DB (aka DL/I). I
>>would presume that most of the time they are running mainly DB2
>>applications under IMS
>>(and perhaps the stray DL/I database in the mix)
>>

>I wouldn't presume that. I'm reasonably sure that "managing over 15 billion
>Gigabytes of production data" means managing it in IMS/DB. Can you even run
>IMS/TM over DB2? (OK, so I guess I should really know that already, but I
>don't :-)

Well, having coded DB2 applications under IMS/TM for some time I can assure you that it
can be done and frequently is ;-) If you are running DB2 applications on an IBM mainframe
you are using either IMS/TM or CICS. So of that 15GGB most is bound to be in DB2.
I can name quite a few sites that use IMS/TM but don't have any DL/I-databases left (and
the ones that have are trying their best to get rid of them ;-) )..

Best Regards,
Lauri Pietarinen Received on Wed Oct 22 2003 - 19:49:22 CEST

Original text of this message